What Information Do We Collect and How is it Used?
Information You Voluntarily Submit to the Website
We may collect personal information from you such as your name or email address. For example, you may voluntarily submit information to the Website by leaving a comment, subscribing to a newsletter, or submitting a contact form.
- Newsletter: By signing up and opting-in to our newsletter, you consent to us sending updates to the email you provided no more than once a month. You can unsubscribe at any time using the link at the bottom of our newsletters. Your email will be stored by the Website’s email marketing company, Substack, for as long as you remain subscribed, and solely for the purpose of sending our newsletter. All newsletters sent may contain tracking pixels. The pixel is embedded in emails and allows an analysis of the success of online marketing campaigns. Because of these tracking pixels, we may see if and when you open an email and which links within the email you click. This allows the Website to adapt the content of future newsletters to the interests of the user. This behaviour will not be passed on to third parties.
- Comments: When leaving comments on the Website, we collect the data shown in the comments form and also your IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection. Your name and comment will be displayed on the Website, but your email and IP address will be kept private. Your comment and data will be stored on the Website indefinitely, or until you ask us to remove it. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
- Contact Form: By submitting a message through the Website’s contact form, you consent to the collection, storage, and use of your name and email for the sole purpose of replying to your inquiry. Messages sent via the Website’s contact form are delivered directly to the Website’s email inbox and is not displayed on the Website.
Automatically Collected Information
We automatically collect anonymous data about aggregate user behavior on the Website. For example, when you use the Website, we will log your partial IP address, operating system type, browser type, referring website, pages you viewed, and the dates/times when you accessed the Website. We may also collect information about actions you take when using the Website, such as links clicked. This allows us to analyze how users reach and behave on the Website so that we can manage and make improvements to the Website. The retention period for data you send that is associated with cookies, user identifiers, or advertising identifiers is 38 months.
- Cookies: We may log information using cookies, which are small data files stored on your browser by the Website. We may use both session cookies, which expire when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which stay on your browser until deleted, to provide you with a more personalized experience on the Website. You can choose to delete or block cookies on your computer (or mobile device) using the settings and configuration of your Internet browser, but please note that certain sections or features of our website may not work if you do so.
How Your Information May be Used
We may use the information collected in the following ways:
- To operate and maintain the Website
- To send you promotional information, such as newsletters. Each email promotion will provide information on how to opt-out of future mailings
- To send you administrative communications, such as administrative emails, confirmation emails, technical notices, updates on policies, or security alerts
- To respond to your comments or inquiries
- To track and measure advertising on the Website
- To protect, investigate, and deter against unauthorized or illegal activity.
Third-Party Use of Personal Information
The Website may use third-party service providers to service various aspects of the Website. Each third-party service provider’s use of your personal information is dictated by their respective privacy policies.
The Website currently uses the following third-party service providers:
- Google Analytics- this service tracks Website usage and provides information such as referring websites and user actions on the Website. Google Analytics may capture your partial IP address (the Website has IP masking enabled so the last octet of your IP address is removed prior to its use and storage), but no other personal information is captured by Google Analytics.
- Mediavine- this service offers ad management including display ad optimization. Cookies may be used to customize the ads you see.
Except when required by law, we will not sell, distribute, or reveal your email addresses or other personal information without your consent.
From time to time, we may use anonymous data, which does not identify you alone, or when combined with data from other parties. This type of anonymous data may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses. Examples of this anonymous data may include analytics or information collected from cookies.
Publicly Visible Information
If you leave a comment on the Website, certain information like your name may be publicly visible. Your email address will never be available publicly. At your option, you may also add an avatar, a profile description, and a link to your website.
Users may see your username, avatar, profile description and website information.
Mediavine Programmatic Advertising (Ver 1.0)
The Website works with Mediavine to manage third-party interest-based advertising appearing on the Website. Mediavine serves content and advertisements when you visit the Website, which may use first and third-party cookies. A cookie is a small text file which is sent to your computer or mobile device (referred to in this policy as a “device”) by the web server so that a website can remember some information about your browsing activity on the Website.
First party cookies are created by the website that you are visiting. A third-party cookie is frequently used in behavioral advertising and analytics and is created by a domain other than the website you are visiting. Third-party cookies, tags, pixels, beacons and other similar technologies (collectively, “Tags”) may be placed on the Website to monitor interaction with advertising content and to target and optimize advertising. Each internet browser has functionality so that you can block both first and third-party cookies and clear your browser’s cache. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, how to disable existing cookies and how to clear your browser’s cache. For more information about cookies and how to disable them, you can consult the information at https://www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/.
Without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of the Website content and features. Please note that rejecting cookies does not mean that you will no longer see ads when you visit our Site. In the event you opt-out, you will still see non-personalized advertisements on the Website.
The Website collects the following data using a cookie when serving personalized ads:
- IP Address
- Operating System type
- Operating System version
- Device Type
- Language of the website
- Web browser type
- Email (in hashed form)
Mediavine Partners (companies listed below with whom Mediavine shares data) may also use this data to link to other end user information the partner has independently collected to deliver targeted advertisements. Mediavine Partners may also separately collect data about end users from other sources, such as advertising IDs or pixels, and link that data to data collected from Mediavine publishers in order to provide interest-based advertising across your online experience, including devices, browsers and apps. This data includes usage data, cookie information, device information, information about interactions between users and advertisements and websites, geolocation data, traffic data, and information about a visitor’s referral source to a particular website. Mediavine Partners may also create unique IDs to create audience segments, which are used to provide targeted advertising.
If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices to opt-in or opt-out of this data collection, please visit Opt Out – NAI: Network Advertising Initiative. You may also visit http://optout.aboutads.info/#/ and http://optout.networkadvertising.org/# to learn more information about interest-based advertising. You may download the AppChoices app at YourAdChoices.com | AppChoices to opt out in connection with mobile apps, or use the platform controls on your mobile device to opt out.
For specific information about Mediavine Partners, the data each collects and their data collection and privacy policies, please click here.
Affiliate Program Participation
The Website may engage in affiliate marketing, which is done by embedding tracking links into the Website. If you click on a link for an affiliate partnership, a cookie will be placed on your browser to track any sales for purposes of commissions.
Travel? Yes Please! is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. As part of this Amazon Associates program, the Website will post customized links, provided by Amazon, to track the referrals to their website. This program utilizes cookies to track visits for the purposes of assigning commission on these sales.
Rights Related to Your Personal Information
Opt-out – You may opt-out of future email communications by following the unsubscribe links in our emails. You may also notify us to be removed from our mailing list.
Access – You may access the personal information we have about you by submitting a request.
Amend – You may contact us to amend or update your personal information.
Forget – In certain situations, you may request that we erase or forget your personal data. To do so, please submit a request.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes or to complete transactions, or when required by law.
Last updated May 2, 2022